Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Advent Calendar

     The Chocolate Advent Calendar has been a tradition in my family since I was kid. This is the second year for the girls to have them. Every morning, after they find the elf, the girls get the daily chocolate. I make Ruby look for the date door. She does pretty good, occasionally needing a little help.
     Thursday of last week, Ruby was sitting on the counter helping me cook some mac and cheese. I stepped out of the room for literally a few seconds and when I came back she had taken the calendar, opened up one of the day doors and taken out the chocolate. She wasn't quite quick enough to eat it so I took it and set it on the cool side of the stove.
     We had a little talk about waiting for the chocolate and what the calendar was all about. I told her not to do it again and we would put the chocolate back in for the right day. While I was looking for the right door, which I never could find, I just told her we would not let anyone have the chocolate and consider it lesson learned.
     I went to grab the chocolate off the stove and it was gone. I immediately looked at Sailor who had been quiet as could be during the entire ordeal. I bent down and asked "Sailor, do you have the chocolate?" She shook her head. I asked her to open her mouth and she turned and started to walk into the dining room. I grabbed her and opened her mouth and I saw and smelled chocolate. 
     I think we all learned a lesson that day. Ruby learned the meaning of the advent calendar and to never be caught with the candy in your hand. Sailor learned that distraction can be your greatest ally. I learned that sometimes it really is the quiet one you have to watch out for. Kids can be sneaky. I say I'll never let my guard down again but we all know it isn't true.
     

2 comments:

  1. LMAO!!! They ganged up on you and WON! ;-P Never underestimate the munchkin army

    ReplyDelete