Friday, December 21, 2012

Christmas Pageant

     The Church Christmas Pageant was a huge deal when I was young. There were sets, costumes, casting, a director...it was serious. I think I played most every part in all my years of participation. When I got older, I played guitar. It isn't quite as big now. The girls haven't gotten in on the act yet. This year they will actually be out of town and won't be in it or even get to see it. 
     If you've ever read "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" or seen the movie, you'll understand what participation in the pageant was like. We never had a Helen Armstrong break her leg or a family like the Herdmans to deal with. All the same, my memories are closer to this fictionalization than to reality. I'm sure it was all probably very tame but for some reason I remember it as if it was a crazy backstage madhouse like you see in the movies. Memories can be funny like that, sometimes so much better (or worse) than reality.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment