Monday, September 16, 2013

Big Bad John

     Early last week we were in the car listening to the radio, specifically 97.3 Y'all. For those of you who are not local, this new station is in the "Jack FM" format which is basically all music, no DJs, and the songs have no discernible genre or time period. More or less it is like putting a really well stocked ipod on shuffle and we really enjoy it.
     So Jimmy Dean's "Big Bad John" came on and almost immediately the girls were captivated by it. The largely spoken track, styled much like a story from traditional American folklore, tells the tale of a Cajun miner and a doomed mine. It was a big hit for Dean and won him a Grammy in 1962.
     The lines "Big John" and "Big Bad John" are repeated several times in the 3 minute track. Towards the end I heard Sailor, in a bass tone, emit her own "Big John" which made Ruby and I both laugh out loud. Over the course of the week the girls asked to hear the song again and again and Sailor's "Big John" has been uttered at random points for no apparent reason. It is painfully cute and never gets old. I know their obsession and her take on it won't last so I am enjoying it while I can.
    

3 comments:

  1. I loved that song when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still like to sing along to that one...and my dad's name isn't even John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff-my kids LOVE it.

    Kelly-I can see why they chose that name, something else like "Big Bad Stan" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

    ReplyDelete