Friday, October 21, 2011

The Donut Factory

I promised Ruby something special at the end of this week. I started telling her Wednesday and she was more and more excited when she would remember...and early this morning we went. I took the girls to Krispy Kreme in Hoover, aka "The Donut Factory."

As a celebration of and tribute to the new  Hip Hop and Classic R&B station 102.1, we decked Ruby out in one of her older (and one of my favorite) t-shirts. Mommy says it is to small, Daddy says it is fitted and that's trendy.


We've passed Krispy Kreme a hundred times, it is at a pretty big intersection near our neighborhood. I started priming the excitement before we even turned into the parking lot. She was really ramped up at this point. Once out of the car she all but drug me inside and posted up near the large glass windows that gives you a great view of the donut making process.



I lifted her up so she could see everything including the dough elevators, the conveyor belt and the flipper. I gave her a quick rundown on how they are made and she had a huge grin and giggled looking in and said "Donuts!" with a huge smile on her face.

We got in the short line and up to the display case. I told her she could pick two. The sour cream cake donuts were at her eye level, that was number one. I picked her up to look at the rest and she selected cinnamon apple filled. To wash it all down, whole milk in a cup with a straw.

I got the girls situated at a table and went to fix my coffee. When I turned back around, she was a couple bites into the cinnamon apple filled. Picking it up with both hands, they were soon dusted with spice and sugar and her upper lip was covered with the apple filling.




She took medium sized bites and occasional breaks for big gulps of milk. 3/4's of her way in, she stopped to try the sour cream cake. This one was not as big of a hit, I offered her a trade for one of my original glazed. She put that one away in a hurry. She had a couple more bites of the other and then offered the rest to me. At this point, she was in need of some serious cleanup.

We took one more look behind the scenes and gathered everything up to go. I'd say the trip was an overwhelming success. However, I may not feel the same later when dealing with the sugar crash...

3 comments:

  1. Oh that was so precious to read. Such a wonderful treat to experience with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...sometimes I wish I could "like" certain sentences in blogs (you know, like you can like posts on Facebook??!!). I def would have liked: "we decked Ruby out in one of her older (and one of my favorite) t-shirts. Mommy says it is to small, Daddy says it is fitted and that's trendy." - that made me chuckles!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like so much fun! It's great to make a big outing of such a little thing. :)

    ReplyDelete