Monday, March 18, 2013

Wreck It Ralph

     Several weeks ago we took the girls to the $1 Theater to see Wreck It Ralph. I didn't know much about it, just that it tied in to classic video games and that was enough for me. I had heard really good things about it but I've been burnt by hype before so I tried to put any expectations aside and watch it with an unbiased mind. I was genuinely surprised.
     On the surface, Wreck It Ralph is a family movie chocked full of video game references and in jokes that children of the Nintendo generation will enjoy. It is engaging across a broad age range and unlike some other films olivia and I have sat through with the girls, this one was entertaining and fun for us. It hooked me in the opening scene and exposition and held me until the finish.
     We made it a point to get the first film Ruby saw in the theater on DVD and we did the same with this one as it was Sailor's first. We've watched it as a family again and every time I discover new layers in the characters and themes. The people behind this film did a really good job of including a message without bashing you over the head with it. There is a depth to the characters that is often lacking in family films.
     If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor and check it out. Even if you don't have kids, you'll enjoy it. If you grew up spending your weekends burning through your allowance in a dimly lit, beeping and buzzing arcade then you will really enjoy it. If you are seriously into video games, this is your film. There are so many references you'll need the Blu-Ray to pause, rewind and explore. In any case, this one is a winner. 

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear! I should try to have my husband watch it with our daughter. She'd love a Daddy Date and he's a game guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they will both love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! I was pleasantly surprised with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It keeps getting better, always seeing something I didn't catch before.

    ReplyDelete